I create a syllabus for a course in the seminary six months before the class begins because of the schedule for VA benefits and other regulations and guidelines. No problem with that except I have this “creative & tweaking gift”. I continue to hold up my teaching to what I since God is teaching me and I am always seeking to improve and clarify my understanding I carry into the classroom.
If you think of the syllabus as the 1.0 version months later I may already be working on the 2.5 version. I consider it strength to be always learning and entering the classroom with fresh baked insight right out of the oven. BUT for students trying to complete the assignments it can be confusing. They may be using 1.0 language and I may be grading with 2.5 in my head. SO – it can create a challenge.
Where I am at is to joyfully embrace the wrestling to reduce the unnecessary confusion in my poor students learning process and when they alert me to an issue be willing to go back and review my grading of a few papers to get it fair.
But — at this point I would rather wrestle with the messy aspects of this strength than to cut it out.
How about you?
Have what you know is a weakness? Well — those are often used to keep you close to bending your knees and seeking God’s provision and protection.
Have what you would consider strength? Well — recognize it can become destructive if it gets out of proper balance and wrestle with the down side it may bring up.
I would appreciate your prayers as we serve and renew!
1. May 14 – Columbia Intl University Commencements (www.ciu.edu)
2. May 18-21 – Missionary Training Intl. Board Meeting (www.mti.org)
3. May 22 – 35th Wedding Anniversary
4. June 3-6 – Exeter Chapel, RI Leadership Workshop & Preaching for 25th anniversary (www.exeterchapel.org/ )
5. June 6 – Columbia Intl. University President’s Advisory Committee Retreat
6. June 12 – Baby Dedication of Lilla Grace Rumsey (1st Grandchild) at Sandhills Community Church (www.sandhillschurch.org )
7. June 17 – July 1 – Vacation at Myrtle Beach Travel Park (www.myrtlebeachtravelpark.com/
8. June 20 – North Myrtle Beach, SC 1More Bike Tour Stop Party hosted by Barefoot Church (www.barefootchurch.com)
9. June 25-26 – Preach Sat PM and 3x Sunday AM at Barefoot Church
10. June 26 — Sun PM Present the Gospel at a Concert in the Outdoor Pavilion Area at Myrtle Beach
11. June 29 – North Myrtle Beach, SC Video Tape President Bill Jones Discipleship & Leadership Resources hosted by Barefoot Church.
12. July 3 – Sandhills Community Church emcee for Robertson McQuilkin preaching on Marriage – CIU will videotape. (www.sandhillschurch.org )
13. July 7 – McLean Bible Church, VA, 1More Bike Tour Stop Party hosted by church ( www.mcleanbible.org/ )
14. July 17 – Chinese Christian Church, Columbia, SC – Preach to English and Chinese Congregations (cccchurch.us/
15. August 6 – Lakeland, FL – Perform Wedding
16. August 8-12 – Columbia, SC – Teach course Master’s and Doctoral students and attend the Willow Creek Leadership Summit broadcasts at CIU on Leadership Development (www.ciu.edu)
17. August 15-18 – Columbia Intl University Faculty & Seminary Workshops
18. August 25 – Columbia Intl. University – Thurs PM course for 15 weeks on Foundations of Leadership for Master’s Students 6:30-9:15 PM – (www.ciu.edu)